Saturday, April 25, 2015

It's the Little Things

I just bundled up all the cards I received last month ( for my birthday ), and tucked them into a storage box.  I keep all my cards.  I LOVE getting cards.  That's probably why I send out so many.  It's such a treat!  To know that someone selected a specific card..... just for me. It's a sweet reminder that someone is thinking of me or they didn't forget my special day.  I am a sucker for a good card!  It's my favorite part of any special day. It takes time to find just the right card! The right picture with the right sentiment,.... I can get stuck on that isle for a while. It's such a simple little thing, but it means so much.... to me, anyway. 
I have a little paper that Spencer gave me when he was younger. He glued a heart shaped rock, to a red sticky note and wrote "For Mom, I love you".  It's tucked into the corner of one of my mirrors.  It's been there for probably 10 years now. It's been there for so long, it's become part of the mirror.  Occasionally, like today... I focus on it and it makes me smile.  Something about those big scribbly letters, etched with such fierce love.... from such a little person.

This is one is kind of funny.... the weird way!  I REALLY love a big, icy diet coke from Sonic.  Some days it just makes me a better person!  I haven't been drinking soda, for several months now... and boy, do I miss it! I treat myself, every once in a while, to a small one. That first sip is a party in my mouth! My husband smirks at me, while I swish it around and make happy sounds. Such a little thing... such big joy!

Music is a huge part of my life.  There really are no words to describe it's significance in my life. So, I'm not even going to try.  However, it is one of those little things, that is actually a very big thing to me.  For each emotion I have, there is a place for music. It runs through my veins.... sustaining me. I love that there is music everywhere. Lyrical emotion.....encompassing complete strangers with familiar unity. I would not want to live in a world without music.

Those are a few examples of my little / big things..... today!

Some days,  I am able to pause longer than just a moment, and take in some of the "little" things that our BIG God made for us to enjoy. Just to name a few..... The cool breeze.... blowing across my toes while I sit and read.  The smell of a good book.  I am old school.  I love to read, and  I love turning each crisp page. The warmth of sunshine on those same little toes.  I love the smell of the fresh cut grass, that waifs through each open window.  I can hear many birds chirping and singing...  happy that it's finally spring. ( me too!).  This morning, I admired the depth of each color on my flowers.  It's hard not to be in awe, when you look closely at such intricate work.  Each vibrant hue looks like it was painted by hand. I enjoy the smell of rain... and the smell of the earth, soaked in it's goodness. The soft rumble of thunder in the early morning... lulling me into a deeper sleep. I don't really enjoy big storms, but I can appreciate them from time to time. I do prefer the gentle ones.

It's the little things, that sometimes bring the most joy.

I think we miss it..... with the hustle and bustle of most days.  We have routines that wind us through our life. We wish away time.... anxious for the workday to end, for the weekend to come, or other big milestones.  I'm trying to remind myself to slow down a little.  It's easy to concentrate on the big things in our lives.  I think sometimes we are in such a hurry to get to the big stuff, we don't really SEE and enjoy the smaller stuff.


Hoping you take time to stop and smell the flowers
 Have a great weekend! 



2 comments:

  1. This is definitely something I'm wanting to work on . . . just stopping and noticing things more. I do this with animals a lot because I love to watch animals. Of course, I love to watch the little things with the kids, but I think I could do this a whole lot more. It reminds us of our blessings when we stop and observe God's miraculous things around us. ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life gets in the way sometimes, huh? It's good that you are aware, and taking the time to slow down. I really have to work on that!!!

      Delete